Sunday, March 18, 2012

Great Quirk!

With all The Hunger Games hype at the moment I feel like stepping back and talking about a completely different book series that I really love but I know of anyone who has read it (well except Reuben but he's my brother so it kinda doesn't count).

If you have ever heard of Mortal Engines you are awesome. And if you've read it you are awesomer. I read the first one about 4 years or so ago and I'm just starting the last one now (which makes it the book series that has taken me the longest time to read ever but that's a long story...). It's a steampunk series about moving cities and airships and ancient weapons and zombie mechanical soldiers and cool stuff like that. Peter Jackson has been sitting on the film rights for a while and Weta Workshop are coming up with concept designs but it is taking forever to make a movie. And when it does finally come out I doubt it will get The Hunger Games level of hype that it deserves, but then again maybe that's a good thing. The people who will go to the midnight premier (that I will be buying tickets for 3 months in advance) will be the more intelligent, cultured people who have been fans from the start, not just people who ignored the book until the first trailer for the movie came out like I might have happened to do with The Hunger Games...

Anyway I'm writing this cos I found a cute little fanvid on Youtube of the very start of the book which is pretty much exactly how I imagined the movie starting. Yes London looks a bit laughable compared to how intimidating it sounds in the book but it's still a cool video...

3 comments:

  1. Ahem..."more intelligent, cultured people who have been fans from the start"? Joel, you are SUCH a book snob!! Lol. But yea, I totally know how you feel. Same thing happening with the 'Song Of Ice And Fire' series that people keep calling 'Game Of Thrones' because that's what they called the TV series.

    By the way, I personally think the Hunger Games is such a big hit only because Stephenie Meyers endorsed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Lol. It was a joke!!! But seriously people who try to get in on the buzz cos it's popular hack me off if I'm one of the faithful who have been following the series for ages :D

      Delete