Monday, September 20, 2010

A Few Thoughts ...

We were studying Wagner in my music class the other day. The guy pretty much defines the term 'enigma' and with the amount of stuff that he wrote about himself, like about 5 volumes of autobiography and even more analyzing his own music, you wouldn't expect that but his writings are so full of self-contradictions and self-praise that they just become confusing. Oh and he was an early Nazi as well. I guess about the only thing that could redeem him (at least in my eyes) is the Ring Cycle. Absolutely stunning epic ahh ... opera cycle.
________________________________________________________________________________________

Staying on Wagner for a bit I've been intrigued with his idea of leit-motifs to represent characters, themes, places, etc. although I don't think it will help me with writing songs. But maybe...
________________________________________________________________________________________

I am currently trying to write 800 words on Liszt's 2nd Hungarian Rhapsody. I know that sounds easy considering it's massive fame but honestly it's not. For a start almost no one has ever written about them before because apparently they were too popular. Hmmm
________________________________________________________________________________________

I've started to practice for an ABRSM grade 8 piano exam. I probably won't sit it for 2-3 years but at least I will be ready. Unlike my last exam when I was ready but unable to enter due to stupid ABRSM bureaucracy. So hopefully I will manage to pass sight reading this time :)
________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm trying to post more regularly to keep my faithful readers, yeah all 2 of you, interested and up to date with my life. It's not going so well at the moment but I'm getting there. This will make for 2 posts this month and I'll try to post again. That'll be a new record. 3 post in a month. Yeah!!!
________________________________________________________________________________________

Oh and by the way if you're interested in writing music as I am check out the Modesty Writer's Guild (link to the right). I know it sounds weird but trust me it's not. It's where Anberlin front man Stephen Christian writes about his latest ideas about life, music, God, and almost anything else song-worthy. Have a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment